MARY ANN RIGG
Mary Ann Rigg was born 12 March 1846 in Ohio. She died 12 August 1912 in Continental, Putnam County, Ohio and was buried in Kieferville Cemetery, Putman County, Ohio.
Mary Ann married Joseph P. Rigg on 4 March 1864. Joseph was born 1840 in Ohio. He died 12 February 1894 and was buried in Kieferville Cemetery, Palmer Township, Putnam County, Ohio.
On 12 February 1894, while walking down railroad tracks during a blizzard, Joseph was killed by a train. Joseph's tombsone inscription reads, "Rev. Joseph P. Rigg, 53 years 3 months 27 days".
Joseph P. Rigg was a minister of the UB Church in North Creek, Putnam County, Ohio.
"Obituary in Putnam County, Ohio Sentinel February 22, 1894" - North Creek - The many friends of Joseph P. Rigg will be pained to learn of his death which occured on last Monday. The circumstances connected with his death are as follows: On Saturday, February 10th. Mr. Rigg went to Hartsburg in this county to attend quarterly conference of the U.B. Church telling his family he would be home Sunday or Monday. Monday being a stormy day his family did not become alarmed but as he did not come home on Tuesday a search was commenced. He was found on Thursday about one half mile north of Wisterman, in a snow drift, after having laid there three days and three nights. It is supposed that he was killed by the St. Louis express, due here at half past seven in the morning, but was two hours late that morning. His funeral was conducted by Rev. Buckingham of Kieferville, on last Sunday, and was one of the largest ever seen in this part of the country.
Joseph and Mary Ann had the following children:
1. John Thornton Rigg was born 20 December 1868 in North Creek, Putnam County, Ohio. He died in 1952.
2. Laura M. Rigg was born November 1869
3. Joseph Dexter Rigg was born 1877. He died 28 november 1899.
4. Alvin Jasper Rigg was born August 1884 in Ohio.
1. John Thornton Rigg was born December 20, 1868 in North Creek, Putnam County, Ohio. He married to Julia E. Haynes on August 20, 1893 in Putnam County, Ohio. Julia was born in June of 1873.
John was a railroader and a member of the abandoned Ev. United Brethren Church in North Creek. Prior to his death in 1952, John had lived at the Anderson Nursing Home, Napoleon, Henry County, Ohio for three years and had been ill for about two of those years. John died at Heller Memorial Hospital in Napoleon. Julia died prior to her husband. John is buried in Kieferville Cemetery, Palmer Township, Putnam Cuinty, Ohio.
John and Julia had the following children:
1. Cora/Carrie Ethel Rigg "Ethel" was born in March 31, 1894 in Palmer Township, Putnam County, Ohio.
2. Ethan Ellis Rigg was born in August 24, 1895 in North Creek, Putnam County, Ohio. He died on June 19, 1944 in East Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
3. Son Rigg died in infancy June 10, 1902 and is buried in Kieferville Cemetery, Palmer Township, Putnam County, Ohio.
4. Son Died in infancy 10 December 1905 and is buried in Kieferville Cemetery, Palmer Township, Putnam County, Ohio.
2. Laura M. married Lewis Jenkins on 15 December 1890? Witnesses to the wedding were Ezekiel Jenkins and Rev. G.O. Rigg. Lewis was born in November 1864 in Pennsylvania. In 1914 the family moved from Ohio to Tekonsha, Calhoun County, Michigan. Laura and Lewis lived the remainder of their lives in Tekonsha. Laura was a housewife and Lewis was a grocery store owner.
Laura and Lewis had the following children:
a. Vern Jenkins was born 2 August 1891 in Ohio.
b. Ernest E. Jenkins was born 13 May 1893 and married Eleanor Foster.
c. Effie Jenkins was born 22 December 1895 in Ohio. Effie married Leland McCandless.
d. Ralph E. Jenkins was born 9 March 1898 in Ohio.
e. Joseph Ezekiel Jenkins was born 11 November 1900 in Continental, Putnam County, Ohio. On 26 June 1926 Joe married Marguerite Neva Cameron. Marguerite was born 16 October 1907, thte daughter of Neil and Flora Cameron. Joe moved to Tekonsha, Calhoun County, Michigan in 1914 and was employed with Randall Milling Company in Tekonsha from 1923 to 1938. Joe owned and operated Jenkins' Standard Oil Station in Tekonsha from 1938 until retiring in 1969. Joe was a former Chief of the Tekonsha Fire Department on which he served as a volunteer for many years. Marguerite taught in a oneroom school house and also worked as a retire clerk. Joe died 29 September 1980 and Marguerite died 5 May 1993. Joe is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Tekonsha, Michigan.
f. Mary J. Jenkins was born around 1903 in Ohio and died at the age of 17.
g. Bertha Jenkins was born 8 June? 1905? in Ohio. Bertha married Lee Shipman Sr. and they lived many years in Ludington, Mason County, Michigan.
h. Lewis Virgil Jenkins "Pete" was born 23 October 1907 in Ohio. Pete married Irene Hall Blackwell. Pete worked at his brother Joe's Standard Oil Station in Tekonsha, Calhoun County, Michigan. He purchased the station when his brother Joe retired in 1969.
3. Joseph "Dexter" Rigg was born in November 30, 1877 Palmer Township, Putnam County, Ohio. Dexter was a farmer and he died on November 28, 1899 of Consumption at the age of 22 years, two months and 28 days old. He is buried in the Kieferville Cemetery, Conntintal, Palmer Township, Putnam County, Ohio.
4. Alvin Jasper Rigg/Jasper Alvin Rigg was born in August 5, 1884 in Palmer Township, Putnam County, Ohio. On 10 May 1913 Alvin married Hazel Van Vlerah. Hazel was born 15 September 1889 in Defiance Township, Defiance County, Ohio, the daughter of Myron and Louise Schoonover Va Vlerah. Hazel died 24 September 1939 at her home in Hartsburg, Ohio, three hours after suffering a heart attack. Hazel is buried in Monroe Cemtery, Continental, Putnam County, Ohio. Alvin lived in Continental in 1952. He died on February 22, 1953 and is buried in the Monroe Cemetery, Putnam County, Ohio.
Alvin and Hazel Rigg had the following children:
a. Howard Van Rigg was born May 25, 1911 in Ohio. He married Rita Wallen. Howard died on January 26, 1980 in Alpena, Alpena County, Michigan and is buried in Alpena.
b. Joseph Myron Rigg was born April 18, 1915 in Monroe, Putnam County and died on April 18, 1915 in Monroe, Putnam County, and is buried in the Monroe Cemetery, Putnam County, Ohio.
c. Harry Alvin Rigg was born March 9, 1917 Putnam County, and died on March 14, 1917 in Continental, Putnam County, Ohio and is buried in Monroe Cemetery, Putnam County, Ohio.
d. Mary Lou Rigg was born March 30, 1919 in Continental, Monroe Township, Putnam County, Ohio and died on March 31, 1919 Continental, Monroe Township, Putnam County, Ohio.
SOURCES: The Mary Ann Rigg family information is from the book "Who's Where in the John Rigg Family" - first edition - by Steven Briggs. Additional information and photo's from Gene and Dixie Rigg; Mary Ann Rigg's death certificate; Ohio birth and death record of, John Thornton Rigg,Carrie/Cora "Ethel" Rigg, Ethan E. Rigg, Joseph Dexter Rigg, Alvin Jasper Rigg, Joseph Myron Rigg, Harry Alvin Rigg and Mary Lou Rigg; Howard Van Rigg death record. John Thornton marriage record.