GEORGE LOVEL PLANK - CIVIL WAR SOLDIER
George Lovell Plank was born on 23 February 1833 in Clinton, Oneida County, New York. He died on 2 April 1908 in Troupsburg, New York. He was buried on 4 April 1908 in Plank Cemetery, Brookfield Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania.
The photo is of George Plank holding his granddaughter, Martha Hammond (mother Lillie Plank Hammond - George's daughter). Photo was taken when George lived with his daughter and son-in-law, Will and Lillie Hammond, at Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan for a few months in 1897. (in accordance with his military records)
George married Asenath E. Rude, daughater of George and Lydia Rude on 4 July 1852 in Brookfield, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. Asenath was born on 22 February 1837 in Troupsburg, New York. She is buried in Plank Cemetery, Brookfield Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania.
George and Asenath had the following children:
1. CordeliaL./Adelia/Delia Plank was born on 16 February 1855. She died on 22 July 1898.
2. Elliott H. Plank was born on 16 November 1856 in Harrison Valley Pennsylvania. He died on 13 February 1871 in Brookfield, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. He was buried in Plank Cemetery, Brookfield Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. Elliott Henry Plank died due to a train accident. His Tombstone reads: Elliot Henry Plank died February 13, 1871 - 15 yrs, 2 mo, 18 da.
3. Gennette Marann "Nettie" Plank was born on 23 May 1863 in Brookfield, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. She died 8 January 1908 in HOrnell, New York.
4. Permelia E. Plank was born on 10 December 1867 in Brookfield, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. She died on 26 February 1872. She was buried in Plank Cemetery, Brookfield Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. Permelia tombstone reads: Permelia Plank, February 25, 1872 - 5 yr, 2 mo, 15 da.
5. Lillie Matilda (Margaret) was born on 14 March 1873. She died on 16 November 1958.
6. Livona May Plank was born on 16 June 1881. She died in 1955.
7. Arthur P. Plank was born on 28 April 1880. He died on 7 May 1945
George Plank was drafted into the service November 11, 1864 and discharged June 27, 1865. The following Surgeon report is in George Plank's military record and it reads: State: Pennsylvania,
County: Tioga, Post Office: Knoxville, November 5, 1873. IT IS HEREBY CERTIFIED That George L. Plank formerly a Private of Captain Reuben Snavely' Company, in the 93 Regiment of PA Vet. Vols,
in the war of 1861 who is now paid at Philadelphia, PA Agency at the state of Eight dollars per month, in account, as he states of Gun Shot Wound Right Side of Head while in the line of duty in the
military service of the United States in or about the 2 day of April, 1865, at a place called Petersburg, in the State or Territory of Virginia is still suffering in consequence of said gun shot
wound right side of head. The disability originates entirely from the injury or disease on account of which he was originaly pensioned, as follows: Height, 5 ft. 9 inches; weight, 145
pounds; complexion, Fair, age, 40; respiration, Normal; pulse 70. On or about 2nd day of April 1865 received gunshot wound. Ball struck right side head about three inches from vertex down
in direction of Lamdoidal suture fracturing partial bone the fractured portion indenture resulting
Tombstone reads: G. Plank, Civil War Veteran.
The following letter was written by George L. Plank and is in his military records; it states reasons for George's pension and where George and his family lived during his lifetime. Wheatfield, Tioga County, PA., August 22, 1887. In answer to the within circular in my Claim No. 114166. Since I came out of the service, my occupation has been that of a farmer. When I first came out of the service I moved to Brookfield, Tioga County, PA., I lived there about eleven years. From there, I moved to Sunderlanville, Potter County, PA., I lived there ten years. From there I moved to Westfield, Tioga Co., PA., where I am now living. My disability,, occured about the first day of March 1865 in front of Petersburgh, VA. Dr. Rich of Knoxville, now dead, prescribed for me when I first came out of the service and Dr. S. S. Begell, then of Westfield, PA., now dead, prescribed for me after Dr. Rich died. Dr. H. L. Bottum of Westfield, now living, next prescribed for me. I have been constantly annoyed with the aforesaid disability since I was first taken with it while in the service and it has constantly increased. Until now, I am unable to do but little light work and a greater part of the time I am unable to do any work whatever. Dr. Jacob Reynolds of Sunderlandville, Potter County, PA. has also prescribed for me; he is now living. George L. Plank
Tombstone Reads: Asenath L. Plank, Wife of George L.
NEWSPAPER ANNOUNCEMENT - THE TIOGA EAGLE, TIOGA COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA - July 15, 1852 issue: Mr. George L. Plank to Miss Acenath C. Rude, all of Brookfield were married on the 4th of July, by S. H. Murdock, Esq.
George and Asenath were married 57 years before George died in April 1908.
PLANK GEORGE L
Wellsboro Agitator – April 8, 1908
George L. Plank, of Troupsburg, N.Y., died last week. The funeral was held in the Sylvester Baptist church on Saturday. He was 75 years of age on February 23rd. His wife and two daughters survive him. Interment in the Plank cemetery.
1. Cordelia L./Adelia/Delia Plank was born on 16 February 1855 in Harrison Valley, Pennsylvania. She died on 22 uly 1898 in Walrous, Pennsylvania.
Cordelia married John A. Kizer on 18 June 1871 in Troupsburg, New York. John was born in 1846 in New York.
Cordelia and John had the following child:
1. James H. Kizer was born on 3 November 1872 in Troupsburg, New York.
5. Lillie Matilda Margaret Plank was born on the 14 March 1873 in Brookfield, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. She died 16 November 1958 in Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan. She was buried in Brant Cemetery, Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan.
Lillie married Willie Albert Hammond, son of Reuben and Rebecca Loper Hammond on 12 December 1889 in Troupsburg, New YOrk. Will was born on 25 December 1857 in Tioga County, Pennsylvania. He died on 26 January 1940 in Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan. He was buried in Brant Cemetery, Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan.
Will and Lillie had the following children:
1. Bessie Elizabeth Hammond was born on 8 November 1890 in Brookfield, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. She died on 21 February 1977 in Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan. She was buried on 24 February 1977 in Brant Cemetery, Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan. Bessie married Charles "Burdette" Ford on 14 June 1910. They had one son, Ernest Ford.
2. Martha Ann Hammond was born on 10 March 1894 in Brookfield, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. She died on 10 May 1927 in Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan. She was buried in Brant Cemetery, Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan. She died as a result of a brain tumor. Martha married Claude Schwanz on 3 January 1918.
3. Albert Lovel Hammond was born on 1 August 1898 in Brant Township, Saginaw County, Michigan. He died on 14 June 1991 in St. Louis, Gratiot County, Michigan. He was buried on 18 June 1991 in Brant Cemetery, Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan. Albert married Martha Hockstra on 26 August 1929. Martha was born on 5 March 1903 in McBrides, Michigan. Albert and Martha had three daughters; Margaret, Martha Alice and Frances.
4. Florence Louise Hammond was born on 22 July 1904 in Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan. She died on 22 April 1992 in Hemlock, Richland Township, Saginaw County, Michigan. She was buried on 25 April 1992 in Brant Cemetery, Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan. Florence married Byron Rigg on 16 August 1924. Florence and Byron had the following children: Donald, Marion, Alice, Donna, Wilma, Marjorie and Gary Rigg.
Lillie moved to Michigan in 1894 with her husband, Will Hammond, and two small children, Bessie and Martha. The family settled in Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan and started their new life.
According to Bessie Hammond Ford's personal notes, Will and Lillie M. Hammond came to Michigan on August 16, 1894, moved to Arkansas on December 2, 1911, and moved back to Michigan February 11, 1915.
HAMMOND FAMILY REUNION - With every relative present, Mrs. Wm. Hammond was happy to greet 38 members of her family at the Byron Riggs home in Merrill Sunday. A bounteous dinner, visiting and outside games were enjoyed, and Mrs. Hammond was presented with a lovely corsage sent by her long time friends, Mr. and Mrs. Neil McSweyn of Merrill, Michigan. Four month old Sue Nohel was the youngest guest. The Don Riggs family from Gladwin came the longest distance. Family members attended from Gladwin, Merrill, St. Charles, Chesaning, Saginaw and Brant, Michigan.
BRANT PIONEER PASSES AWAY: Celebrated Golden Wedding Last December.
William Albert Hammond, 82, for 45 years a resident of Brant, Passed away at his home in Brant Township Friday evening at 6:30 o'clock from a complication of diseases, after several months of failing health.
Deceased was born December 25, 1857 in Brookfield, Pa., and married Lillian M. Plank in Troupsburg, N.Y. Dec. 12, 1889. They moved to Brant in 1894 where they settled on the John Pellet farm. Later they sold out and moved to Hope, (probably Hempstead County) Ark. where they lived for three years. Returning to Brant, they have since lived in their present home. Besides his wife, he is survived by two daughers Mrs. Bessie Ford of Brant and Mrs. Florence Rigg of Merrill, and a son, Albert Hammond of Brant, also 7 grandchildren and one great grandchild. A host of friends will miss him and the beautiful floral tributes bespoke the esteem of friends and neighbors. The Hammonds' celebrated their golden wedding anniversary last December. Funeral services were held from the home Monday at 2 o'clock with Rev. George Merton of the Methodist Church at Brady officiating. Burial was in Brant cemetery.
MRS. HAMMOND SUCCUMBS SUNDAY - Funeral services for Mrs. Lillie Hammond, 85, who passed away at the home of her son, Albert Hammond, in Brant early Sunday were held Tuesday at 2 P.M. at the Brant Methodist Church, Rev. Charles Dibley officiated with burial in Brant Cemetery. Lillie Plank was born March 14, 1873 in Brookfield, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. She was married to W.A. Hammond in Troupsburg, N.Y. on December 12, 1889. They moved to Brant township in 1894, where Mr. Hammond passed away in 1940. She moved to Merrill six years ago. Surviving, besides her son, Albert, are two daughters, Mrs. Bessie Ford of Brant and Mrs. Florence Rigg of Merrill; 10 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren.
6. Livona "May" Plank was born on 16 June 1881 in Hector, Pennsylvania. She died in 1955 in Hornell, New York.
May married William Lamphere on 10 August 1898. They had the one child:
1. Charles A. Lamphere was born on 8 June 1900 in Troupsburg, New York. He died on 30 October 1953
Charles married Margaret Chapman on 22 August 1923 in Hammondsport, New York.
Charles and Margaret had the following children: Edna, Rosalia and Florence Lamphere.
May also married Hiram C. Holt on 30 March 1902 in Woodhull, New York.
May and Hiram had a daughter, Florence A. Holt, who was born on & September 1902 in Troupsburg, New York. She died on 8 August 1965 in Hornell, New York.
Florence married Walter Zeliff on 1 March 1923 in Hornell, New York.
Florence and Walter had 3 chidren Dorothy, Roger and Richard.
My name is Jackie Rohde and this is my website. The following people are my line - George and Asenath Rude Plank are my great great grandparents; Will and Lillie Plank Hammond are my great grandparents; Byron and Florence Hammond Rigg are my grandparents and Alice Rigg Bucholz is my mother.
All the photos from these pages were my great-grandmother Lillie Plank Hammond's.