Byron married (1) Florence Louise Hammond, daughter of Willie Albert Hammond and Lillie Margaret Plank, on 16 August 1924 in Mt. Hope Avenue M.E. Church, Lansing, Michigan by F.E. George, Pastor. Florence was born 22 July 1904 in Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan. Florence was raised on Colvin Road in Brant, Saginaw County Michigan. She received her high school diploma from Lansing High School in Lansing, Ingham County, Michigan. She continued her education at Central Michigan in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan and became a teacher She died 22 April 1992 in Hemlock, Michigan and was buried 25 April 1992 in Brant Cemetery, Brant, Saginaw County, Michigan.
Byron and Florence had the following children:
1. Donald Stewart Rigg was born 14 May 1925 in Lakefield Township, Merrill, Saginaw County, Michigan. He served in the United States Army during WWII as an M.P. He owned and operated an 160 acre dairy farm in Gladwin, Gladwin County, Michigan from 1956 until his retirement 1989. He was married to Bernie Streichart on 30 January 1953 in Hemlock, Saginaw County, Michigan. Don died on 6 June 2000 at the Saginaw Veterans Hospital, Aleda E. Vets Medical Center, Saginaw, Michigan. He is buried in the Butman Township Cemetery, Gladwin, Gladwin County, Michigan.
2. Marion Louise Rigg was born 15 March 1927 in Lakefield Township, Merrill, Michigan. Marion was a graduate of Merrill High School, Merrill, Michigan. She was employed as a bank teller at the Michigan National Bank in Flint, Michigan, Second National Bank in Saginaw, Michigan and was later employed as a bookkeeper by Sun Lumber Company, Saginaw, Michigan. She was married to Howard Shively on 9 October 1965. Marion was an excellent embroider, seamstress, cook, baker, and was an avid reader, enjoyed sketching and absolutely loved music. Marion was a very loving and caring person. Marion died on 11 June 1997 St. Mary's Catholic Hospital, Saginaw County, Michigan and is buried in Custer, Michigan.
3. Alice Joan Rigg was born 28 November 1928 in Lakefield Township, Merrill, Saginaw County Michigan. Alice was talented in many ways. She loved baking, cooking, canning, gardening, loved ceramic making and absolutely loved her grandchildren and her nieces and nephews. Alice died 21 October 1994 at her home in Merrill, Saginaw County, Michigan and is buried in the Brant Township Cemetery, Saginaw County, Michigan.
She was married to John W. Bucholz on 5 June 5 1948. Alice and John had the following children:
a. Yvonne Louise Bucholz
b. Jacqueline Sue Bucholz
4. Donna Eileen Rigg was born 16 August 1930 in Lakefield Township, Merrill, Michigan. She was a graduate of Merrill High School, Merrill, Michigan. Donna married Robert F. Nohel on 15 October 1949. Donna enjoyed cooking, baking, canning and gardening but she especially loved all of her family. She was married to Robert Nohel on October 15, 1949. Donna passed away at Schnepp's Nursing Home in St. Louis, Gratiot County, Michigan on 17 May 2012.
Donna and Bob had the following children:
a. Diana Lynn Nohel - Diana was born 15 July 1950 in Saginaw, Michigan. She was a 1968 graduate of Merrill High School, Merrill, Michigan. Diana was a very outgoing, kind and loving person, yet knew when to put someone in their place. She was a very hard working woman and loved her job at Chris's Bar (E.J.'s or Popp's Place) in Merrill, Michigan. She loved her family and friends very much and loved to color and do Thomas Kinkade puzzles. She truly enjoyed listening to her favorite music Bob Seger and Trace Adkins. Diana was a wonderful daughter, sister, mother, grandmother and great grandmother and friend. She was truly loved by many. Diana Lynn Jessup age 69, of Merrill, Michigan passed away on 15 July, 2019 (her birthday) and is buried in Ridgelawn Cemetery, Breckenridge, Michigan.
b. Jeanne Roberta Nohel - The daughter of the late Robert Francis and Donna Eileen (Rigg) Nohel. Jeanne was born on 9 October 1951 in Saginaw, Michigan. She graduated from Merrill High School, with the Class of 1970. Jeanne later continued her education at Delta Community College in the Accounting Program, graduating with an Associates DeGree. Many in Merrill, Michigan got to know Jeanne from her 10+ years bartening at Chris's bar in Merrill, Michigan. Her true passion though was for taking care of others, leading her to work in her later years for Hospice as a compassionate caregiver to many; especially her dear parents who were a integral part of her life. Jeanne enjoyed gardening, canning, doing puzzles, traveling to visit family members and sewing. She will be remembered by many for her friendly social nature, always there to offer up a smile, conversation or a shoulder to lean on. Above all, Jeanne cherished the time spent with family. Jeanne passed away on 10 August 2020 at her home.
c. Robert Francis Nohel
d. Thomas Gary Nohel
e. Helen Sue Nohel
f. Ricky Lee Nohel
g. Jay Dennis Nohel
h. Harry Joseph Nohel
I. Donald Wayne Nohel
5. Wilma Fay Rigg was born 6 April 1934 in Lakefield Township, Merrill, Saginaw County, Michigan. She was a graduate of Merrill High School, Merrill, Michigan. Wilma married Frederick Eurich on 26 July 1952. She enjoyed her flower garden, sewing, knitting and was an accomplised baker. Wilma died 27 April 2012 at Saginaw Covenant Hospital, Saginaw, Michigan and was buried on 1 May 2012 in the Midland Memorial Gardens, Midland, Michigan
Wilma and Fred had the following children:
a. Ronald David Eurich
b. David Lee Eurich was born on 9 March 1954. David was a graduate of Breckenridge High School, Breckenridge, Gratiot Cunty, Michigan. He served his country by being a member of the United States Army. Dave was a very talented and capable man. He died on 16 September 2022 and is buried in the East Tennessee Veteran Cemetery, Knoxville, Tennessee.
c. Danny Allen Eurich was born on 30 March 1955 in Saginaw, Saginaw County, Michigan. He was a graduate of Breckenridge, Gratiot County, Michigan. Dan was employed by Heat and Frost Insulators and Allied Workers Local #47 for nearly 30 years and where he served as Vice President of his local. He enjoyed working on restoring and working on tractors and small engines, particularly Allis Chalmers and Simplicity. Enjoyed helping people. Dan died on 28 January 2011 at home and was buried on 1 February 2011 in the Midland Memorial Gardens, Midland, Michigan.
d. twin - Gregory Lynn Eurich was born 14 January 1957 in Saginaw, Michigan. He was a graduate at Breckenridge High School of the class of 1976 in Breckenridge, Gratiot County, Michigan. Greg was employed by Miller Mold Company for over 25 years. He died suddenly at the age of 48 in Bay City, Bay County, Michigan on 28 November 2005 and was buried on 2 December 2005 in the Midland Memorial Gardens, Midland Michigan.
e. twin - Debra Fay Eurich
f. Gerald Kenneth Eurich
g. Chris Gene Eurich
h. Frederick Daniel Eurich
i. Wilma Fay Eurich
j. William Joseph Eurich
6. Marjorie "Margie" Eleanor Rigg was born 9 December 1939 in Lakefield Township, Merrill, Saginaw County, Michigan. She graduated from Merrill High School with honors (top 10 of her class) with the Class of 1957. She married Ervin A. Neuenfeldt on 16 August 1958. Margie enjoyed traveling especially to Germany, the southwest of U.S.A. and into Canada. She enjoyed gardening, baking, cooking and was an avid reader and bird watcher. She, also, enjoyed being outside in the natural surroundings. Margie was an active member of Zion Lutheran Church, Hemlock, Michigan and was a member of their choir. Margie died on 22 January 2022 at Saginaw Covenant Healthcare Hospital, Saginaw, Michigan.
Margie and Erv had the following children:
a. Amy Lorraine Neuenfeldt
b. Andrew Arnold Neuenfeldt
c. Linda Marion Neuenfeldt
d. Tracy Louise Neuenfeldt
e. Margery Ann Neuenfeldt
7. Gary Dean Rigg had the following son:
a. Christopher Dean Rigg.
Gary married Wendy Macklem Rigg on 25 June 1999 in Tennessee.
The photo is of Byron Rigg with his family. front row - left to right: Donna Rigg, Marion Rigg, Alice Rigg, and Wilma Rigg; back row - left to right: Don Rigg, Byron Rigg and Florence Hammond Rigg.
Byron Rigg was a farmer of 80 acres in Lakefield Township on Swan Creek Road, Merrill, Saginaw County, Michigan, and owned other properties that he built homes on and sold. He also helped friends and family members build their homes. For many years he owned a deer hunting cottage in Meredith, Michigan and winter homes in Florida. He had also been an employee of Dow Corning Corporation in Midland, Michigan. Byron grew many fruits and vegetables besides the normal farmfare and was a very self-reliant man. He was nicknamed Tuffy by his grandchildren, whom he enjoyed very much. Byron was a lifelong resident of Lakefield Township, Saginaw County, Michigan. He was a member of the Congregational Christian Church in Merrill, Michigan. Byron was also a member of the Merrill Lodge No. 411 F&AM, the Order of the White Shrine of Jerusalem and a past patron of the Merrill Chapter No. 295 of the Order of the Eastern Star.
Byron also married (2) Marie E. Gorman on 20 June 1964 in Merrill, Michigan. Marie was born 18 August 1907.
Byron also married (3) Arlene M. Micho. She was born 14 July 1922 and died 31 August 1979 in Saginaw County, Michigan and was buried in Ridgelawn Cemetery, Breckenridge, Michigan.
Byron also married (4) Ruth Arlene Girven on 1 November 1981 in St. Louis, Gratiot County, Michigan. Ruth was born 14 June 1917 in Jasper Township, Midland County, Michigan.
SOURCES: Alice Rigg Bucholz, Wilma Rigg Eurich, Florence Rigg, Marjorie Rigg Neuenfeldt, and Jackie Bucholz Rohde